19.2.09

Coco Mademoiselle EdP


Immediately sweet and fruity, Coco Mademoiselle burns down very quickly to a sharper, cooler citrus with something deeper lurking below. At this stage it reminds me of a period in my life when I wore a particular deodorant meant to have a “sporty” kind of scent. I think it was made by Adidas. This is not, however, entirely a bad thing as I loved that deodorant and miss it very much. Over time Coco Mlle warms up just a bit and I can catch some of the flowers in its middle notes. I get a bit of spice, and eventually it dries down to an interestingly boozy vanilla musk scent. I rather dislike vanilla scents, but am just fine with Mlle’s drydown, which is fortunate, since my other half (like many men, it seems) likes vanilla. As for the patchouli in the base notes, it only lends an ever so slightly earthy depth and bears no resemblance to actual hippie patchouli. Coco Mlle has good lasting power and sillage, but is not as intense as the original, older Coco.

Speaking of which, I am not really sure what this has to do with the original Coco. Perhaps it is just that Coco is clearly richer, more sensual, powerful and so perhaps more the Madame sort. While Coco Mlle is more stereotypically like a young, modern woman—breezy, athletic and fond of both fruit and crispness in a scent. And I guess they do both smell like Chanel, although I don’t know quite what I mean when I say that. But I have a vague sense that I could place a new perfume as a Chanel creation just by giving it a good sniffing. I’ve read people talking about the scent “base” used consistently by a particular perfume house. Maybe that is what I mean? I am not sure.

The Other Half Says: Nice.

Orange, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Litchi, Rose, Italian Jasmine, Indonesian Patchouli, Haitian Vetiver, Bourbon Vanilla, White Musk.

No comments:

Post a Comment